If you’re interested in cutting-edge medicine, you’ve probably heard of PRP therapy. In 2019 the market for PRP therapy was valued at $167 million in the United States. And because it is versatile, its popularity is soaring and is projected to continue its upward trajectory.
Kumar Aesthetics provides a list of regenerative medicine services that includes PRP treatment. Our team of specialists, led by Master Injector Dr. Sujay Kumar, has expertly administered this treatment for years.
Does PRP work? Continue reading to learn about the effectiveness of PRP therapy.
What is PRP Therapy?
Platelet-rich Plasma Therapy or PRP is a type of regenerative medicine that involves drawing a patient’s blood and concentrating platelet levels and growth factors. This concentrated sample is injected into the area of concern to stimulate cell growth and promote healing.
PRP is simply plasma with many more platelets than what is usually present in the blood. By isolating your platelets in a centrifuge, the concentration of platelets — and, thereby, the concentration of growth factors — can be 5 to 10 times richer than usual.
What is PRP Therapy Used For?
PRP therapy is used to treat conditions such as:
- Baldness or hair loss
- Tendon injuries such as tennis elbow, Achilles tendonitis and rotator cuff injury
- Sports injuries including pulled hamstring muscles and knee sprains
- Sexual dysfunction issues like weak erections, inability to achieve orgasms and vaginal dryness
What Should You Expect When Getting a PRP Injection?
While it may seem frightening to be injected, especially in sensitive spots or areas with pain, a caring team like the one at Kumar Aesthetics will take precautions to ensure that you are as comfortable as possible. They will follow these steps:
- A healthcare professional will draw a sample of your blood from your arm. The amount drawn will be based on what body part will receive the PRP.
- They will place the blood in a centrifuge, which spins the sample for about 15 minutes. This motion isolates the platelets.
- The platelets are prepared as a serum and placed in a syringe.
- Your doctor will use imaging to determine the exact injection site. They may apply a numbing cream to the area or mix a local anesthetic with the PRP.
- The doctor will then inject the area.
How Effective is PRP Therapy?
PRP Therapy has yielded positive results when used to treat the following:
- Hair Loss – A 2015 study showed that PRP injections into the scalp every two to three weeks for three months might not only increase the number of hairs but also thicken the strands and strengthen the roots.
- Tendon and Sports Injuries – These are usually slow to heal, but those injected with PRP may experience faster relief. A 2014 study revealed that 84% of patients with tennis elbow reported a significant reduction in pain after 24 weeks.
- Osteoarthritis- A 2015 study suggests that PRP shots are more effective in the treating osteoarthritis than hyaluronic acid injections.
- Sexual Dysfunction- In a 2014 study, 71% of women reported no longer being “distressed” after receiving PRP shots. Research also shows some promise for patients with erectile dysfunction, but it is early days yet.
PRP Therapy Available in Franklin, TN
Are you dealing with any of the conditions mentioned above? Call the team at Kumar Aesthetics to find out if you’re a candidate for PRP therapy. It may be the solution to help you heal, regrow your hair and enjoy the things you love. You may schedule an appointment online today or call us at (615) 821-2150.